Tiger Tale Journal -- Cat Thoughts on Life, Religion and Politics

The greater part of what my neighbors call good, I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? --Henry Thoreau

My Photo
Name:
Location: Frostbite Creek, Minnesota

Can you ever really know a cat?

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Greatest Anti Republican Anti War Song Ever Written.

How to Grow Up Big and Strong
Mark Heard

Strong man strangle universe
He drown the stars
Blinded by the mission of a thousand wars
He fit and dominant
Not wonder why
He heed the battle cry

Strong man is survivor
He live to pound
Little wooden crosses in the bloody ground
He fit and dominant
He stand a chance
He not bound to circumstance

And the world keep on turning
And the sun keep on burning
And the children keep learning
How to grow up big and strong
How to grow up big and strong

Strong man take no prisoner
Favor no plea
He leave no gold in teeth of enemy
He fit and dominant
He rise above
He not have the word that mean love

And the world keep on turning
And the sun keep on burning
And the children keep learning
How to grow up big and strong
How to grow up big and strong

Strong man beat the plowshare
He forges sword
He take the flower and he curse the thorn
He crush the serpent
He bite the fruit
His hand is absolute

And the world keep on turning
And the sun keep on burning
And the children keep learning
How to grow up big and strong
How to grow up big and strong
How to grow up big and strong

You can find and hear this song at the Kid Brothers of St. Frank Website.

This is new to a lot of people because Mark Heard was a pretty obscure writer of mostly religious music and died young. Rich Mullins (who also died young) put it on one of his albums. The website doesn't display well on my browser and you may have to hunt a bit for the song, but it's well worth hearing.

If you click on "music" and then "song list" you should get an array of albums and the eighth one down the column will give up the "Strong Man" lyric. Then you should be able to click at the top of that page on the music symbol and hear it.

Both of these artists have done some excellent work along with some stuff that is clearly commercial and aimed directly at the Fundy crowd.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wadena
I must admit, I'm not familiar. And I'm sorry for that. Relevant lyrics, huh? Interesting.

Do you not consider ME a fundy type? I wonder why not.

Thank you for your participation in our little snarkfest about Nagin. I understand that people have short attention spans and adolescent dispositions.
Funny, I hardly talk that way in real life. I am a shy person, actually. I find that my more heartfelt rants are on the boring side. One cannot write about trees every day.

11:00 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

It is difficult to speak out forcefully for compassion. Jimmy Carter does a fair job in his latest book, but he still speaks for the establishment in many ways....is still in the dark in many ways.

This song must be heard to be truly appreciated. The choppy, grunty lyric as interpreted by Mullins captures the spirit of the knuckledragger perfectly.

"Me man. You world. You die."

The quintessential Republican.

6:22 AM CST  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

new post over at watergatesummer...Xena sends love...and a snarky flick of her tale...She just swiped my leg because I walked too close to HER loveseat...

i am sure you fine wadena are much more Dignified than That.....

6:30 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"difficult to speak out forcefully for compassion".
I have to think more about that, as I suspect that yes- it is difficult- but maybe in the scheme of things- preferable. If one can find a way to balance compassion, humnity, empathy, need-based dialogue versus competition...with 'passion'. Not barren force, but energy-infused action.

1:10 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

Oh E4.....in this house a cat that swiped at a human would have several pillows thrown at her rather quickly and find herself running for cover.

Not that I've ever done it, but one of my housemates hisses at my typist sometimes and gets bombarded with pillows.

Me.....I get along well with everybody.

4:20 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

Fair Lil, I have not figured out how to speak out forcefully for compassion.

I have tried both extremes and the middle and nothing works.

Maybe that leaves the way clear to speak out in any way we choose.....because people don't want to hear it.

I favor ranting because although they still don't listen.....they DO pay attention and take notice rather than pretending you are invisible and they are deaf.

Jimmy Carter's way is boring....Michael Moore's way is obnoxious but at least interesting--and neither seems to be making a dent in the problem.

Maybe it's time to just have fun and go with whatever appeals at the moment.

4:28 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home