Tiger Tale Journal -- Cat Thoughts on Life, Religion and Politics

The greater part of what my neighbors call good, I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well? --Henry Thoreau

My Photo
Name:
Location: Frostbite Creek, Minnesota

Can you ever really know a cat?

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Waiting for More of Wadena's Fish Story

Wadena is lost somewhere on memory lane--deep in the woods. So, I'll stall.

When I was very young and a cute little girl didn't return my affections, I remember my mother saying, "There are plenty more fish in the sea."

Which made me feel better.....and was wise.

And I remember people saying of a guy with a girl friend, "Oh, he's really got her on a string."

Or sometimes I'd hear people say, "She's really got HIM hooked!"

I remember a girl I knew in Japan who used to constantly ask me, "You catch Jo-san?"

She was asking if I already had a girl friend or if I might be available. Such an honorable girl, she was. She worked in a bar, but she had way more integrity than a lot of allegedly higher-class women that I've met. But there it was--a fishing metaphor again......as if she assumed I was constantly trolling for women (which, at that point in my life, may have been at least somewhat true).

And, we continue to find ways to express ourselves in fishing talk. There is a contemporary vernacular that talks of "hooking up" with somebody (and these must be conservationists with barbless hooks, because it appears there's a lot of catch and release being practiced).

Romance, it seems, is often expressed in fishing language. Which is understandable, I guess, (we too often seem to be angling for trophies to improve our feelings about ourselves) and explains Wadena's use of a fishing tale to comment on human relationships. She seems to find humans to be quite pretentious and unrealistic about their relationships.

And she says that religion, low self-esteem and an unhealthy acquisitiveness are always lurking very near.....attached to us like dark shadows that take over and pull us into dangerous, even toxic places.

We tend to give up too much of ourselves in trade for what it is that we think that we want.

Me? I wonder if we'll ever get it right. So Ted Hughes was not so nice to Sylvia Plath. She killed herself. That makes him a bad guy? Maybe he was. So why did she marry him in the first place? Maybe that's the only truly valid question. Somehow, she failed to take care of herself. Why? Why do far too many of us become enmeshed with destroyers instead of taking care of ourselves?

Cats, on the other hand, always take care of themselves.

Cats know that you're the only one who will always be there for you........and that fishing is a profoundly uncertain business.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Well I do agree that people use both 'acquisitiveness' and 'trophy hunting' for similar validation. Both are sadly rooted in externalitiea and the 'reflection' of the aspirational self. Marketing preys on this aspect particularly well.
I am no expert on Hughes (or anyone's relationships, for that matter)but I do think that in some cases certain personalities are drawn to drama and your earlier point about seven seconds and seven years seems to hold especially true for such relationships.
Perhaps if people could exist peacefully inside their own skins they would have better prospects for relationships. I must admit that I am lousy at commenting on such matters. I have very few answers.
Loving and 'seeing' are very different things.
Thanks for your comments, cat.

11:22 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

Marketing has moved beyond simply PREYING on this fixation on externalitiea (great word there, Lily, I'm trusting you on the spelling since I never used it before) and is now holding the reins and driving that bandwagon as innocents are seduced en masse and only a few really strong and wise people are saying, "Screw you, I'd rather walk."

And somewhere from the dusty back corners of my mind I hear Jennifer Warnes singing......

"I don't like your fashion business, Mister,
And I don't like those drugs that make you thin,
I don't like what happened to my sister,
First we taken Manhatten,
Then we take Berlin."

So is Leonard Cohen a genius, or what?

How can a nation move on to better things, how can a nation stop its criminal wars against people and other living things......if that nation is focused on achieving the perfect thigh.....and football, and breasts and the SUV? (Not necessarily in that order.)

First we need to take Manhatten.

First we need to take ourselves.

First we need to overcome our programming and truly love ourselves instead of hating ourselves.

Then we can finally love others (and very naturally disregard externals).

And in loving others we WILL end or at least control our tendency to destroy the world for fun and profit.

Cats.....cats have no problem loving themselves. People can learn so much from cats.

It all starts and ends--inside.

8:05 AM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

Ah, we cats are ruthless, yes. However, we are in a special niche as semi-domesticated animals.

We are WAY different from humans and cannot be judged by the same standard. Yet, since we are in such close contact with humans....we have a unique perspective.

Humans ARE battered by so many things that we cats simply don't have to deal with.

Mostly though, humans simply can't love themselves and thus lack the confidence to truly love anything or anyone else.

Strangely enough.....religion gone awry is the root cause.

The thing that should bring love....brings hate.

What should be the cure......is what kills.

But humans are full of strange contradictions.....that's why they interest me.

11:08 AM CST  
Blogger Lily said...

Actually its not a real word, its just part of the language of frustration. Pathetically, I have many terms that reflect MY need to have tools by which sublimated dissatisfaction may be articulated.

I will think more about your other points.

1:53 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

Well.....it's a GOOD word.

I've made up a few myself from time to time.

:)

3:38 PM CST  
Blogger Lily said...

So I considered your comments some more, while driving. Not that anyone cares.
I don't know that LC is a great SINGER, I think he is a gifted writer and so his music seems to appeal to me more in the vein of spoken word. Sure, he has some hack phrasing. But he made my list of singers with 'it' because of some of his descriptive terms for loving women.

Have you heard "Death Is Not The End"?

8:45 PM CST  
Blogger Wadena said...

You really ARE in a bad mood, aren't you!!!

Repeat after me, "Everything will be ok."

A little louder.

Now smile.

No, I mean a REAL one.

That's better.....a little larger smile even than I.....

Now put down that chemical spray stuff.

Ouch!

That's not funny.

Well, at least NOW you're smiling.

Where can I wash these eyes out?

9:38 PM CST  
Blogger Lily said...

I'm sorry, cat. And??? Pet proxy???
See we don't know what to call cat's owner to address directly.
For lack of a better moniker, I will call you felinephile. THAT will make you give up at least a reasonable alias!

11:02 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home